Friday, June 30, 2023

THE TWO OF THEM

 

The summer replacement muse has come a day early,

Settling herself in the kitchen where I find her

Eating a mayonnaise and cracker sandwich

She nods to me, brushes crumbs to the floor

And says “Good news! I’ve just found out that

In 1877 Sarah Bernhardt and William Ewart Gladstone

Had a long conversation!”

                                 “About what?”

                                                      “No one knows!

The field is wide open for you!” If I could draw this might

Be useful information – something Beerbohmesque

With the thin actress spiraling about to explain life

To the appalled and fascinated prime minister

But I lost my ability to draw years ago.

Words are what I have and a small repertory company

Among whom Sarah and William will have to wait –

I fear for a rather long time – until I write about them

If he’s impertinent to her, Baba Yaga may turn Gladstone

Into a crane but Bernhardt – a dab hand at almost everything --

Will probably, after a while, turn him back into a man

And possibly one much improved over the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment