Wednesday, September 28, 2022

UBIQUITY

Look at any large family photo album and,

Sooner or later, some version of my mother 

Will be looking back at you with sharp brown eyes

Over an unmistakable small nose. I am particularly fond

Of my mother when she was a Turkish woman

Posing at a typewriter in an Istanbul office 

Around 1936 (anyone claiming to be my mother 

Must be able to type accurately and with 

Terrifying speed, her head turned a bit to the left

As she talks to whoever is in the room with her or,

If no one is, whoever is in the next room).

The mother I know best was 9 that year, in Brooklyn,

And would have been pleased to know another her 

Was making her own way, taking no guff

And walking with her friends at dusk,

Standing in the shadow of the Galata Tower or seeing

What the Bosphorus was getting up to now.

No comments:

Post a Comment