Monday, July 12, 2021

ARISE

Awake, O Muse! Come on; get up!

I know times are hard and you

Work three jobs and worry

That you don't have a green card,

But how long do you think I can vamp

Before some squinchy-eyed reader says

"There's no poem occurring here?"

How much better things used to be!

Old Milton, leaning on a daughter,

Would hobble in and rap a coin

Hard against the polished oak counter

Saying "Muse! I wish to justify the ways

Of God to Man! What d'you have in stock?"

"Very good, Sir. Are you justifying God's ways 

To a particular man or to humanity at large?"

"At large, I think; no sense being stingy."

"And would you be thinking of a sonnet

Or perhaps a villanelle? We've some nice material

Just in from France."

                                   “None of that; I’ve decided 

To write an epic."

                                      "Congratulations!

My word! We haven't done one of those 

In years! Will you be inspired here 

Or should I send the boy around?"

No comments:

Post a Comment