Wednesday, March 24, 2021

STONE, LEECH, EGG

Suppose unhappiness

To be a stone. Sisyphus

Carries it uphill. Michelangelo 

Sees in it an elephant

Who, once freed, will lift

His outrageous trunk and

Challenge the Duomo.

But you, who no longer

Win smiles, put it in

Your pocket and check

Three times a day to see

If it's still there.


********


My father would

Successfully break eggs

Tapping them

With a fork. The eggs

Wanted to please him.

When I tap just so

The egg ignores me

Or just snickers.


My mother would 

Crack eggs one-handed 

Without looking

And without fail. This 

I don't even try.


********


Sometimes the leech

Aspires and has 

Composed but not submitted 

Elaborate petitions 

To the highest powers.

God, he has heard, has

Problems of His Own.

No comments:

Post a Comment