Monday, July 6, 2020

REASON

Most dogs take their shadows with them
But if Finn did, it returned, struggling free 
From underneath the backyard flagstones.
It's not demonstrative, doesn't demand 
To be fed or have its dark head scratched.
I see it when I'm not looking. It pretends 
To be a black cat stretched out in the sun
Or to be cast by the old wicker rocking chair 
Given away long years ago. My father 
Half-believed that after you die your dog
Is called to testify about you. (Since dogs
Universally loved him he must have found this
A comforting thought.) Finn and I mostly
Got on pretty well but perhaps he still resents 
The time I laughed at him when loud thunder 
Made him squeeze through a hole too small
For him to have fit if fear had not turned his bones 
To jelly. I apologized but if my shadow
Reaches Heaven without me, this may be why.

No comments:

Post a Comment