Monday, July 13, 2020

Photo

Oh kind thief passing by you see me
Looking from this old picture on top
Of a pile put by the curb. It may be
The last evidence that such a one as I 
Ever was. Look! Someone wrote my name 
On the back and underlined it in red.
There's a date too -- impossibly long ago;
There was no 1913 -- it's underlined twice.
The handwriting is still clear; the letters 
Are spidery but elegantly made by someone 
Who'd practiced -- made perhaps to practice --
Long hours to develop a hand that bespoke 
Gentleness, civility, curiousity, intelligence 
Look at the curl in my middle initial 
An O -- Oscar? Oswald? Optimus?
If not for my sake then for hers
Who held the pen that carefully took note
Of me, take me home before the rain comes
And washes away her words. Carry me
In your hand or your bag or your back pocket.
Translate her words and me into ones and zeroes
That we may live a little while or forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment