Tuesday, October 15, 2019

RELATIVE


Due to circumstances not likely to be repeated
My mother had, by a five to four vote,
Become God. Technically, this made me
The Son of God. Unfortunately, no salary
Or other perks came with the title. It took weeks
To even get an appointment with Her
Working my way through a phalanx
Of divine relatives. My sister,
The Daughter of God, was busy destroying
Small, barely inhabited planets. Word was
She was in training to oversee
Galaxy-spanning disasters. My grandfather,
The Father of God, was sympathetic
But said she'd never listened to him
Even before she was God. Saint Florence,
The First Cousin of God and Her Secretary,
Finally penciled me in for a late lunch meeting
My mother seemed distracted. She thanked me
For being less troublesome than my brother,
The Older Son of God -- the Village Atheist
For several small Southern towns  -- but said
There were no immediate plans to allow me
The power to perform miracles. Equally,
The forging of nails to crucify me
Had been postponed to an indefinite date.
As I left, Florence gave me a souvenir pen
And a cellophane-wrapped piece of infinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment