Wednesday, July 3, 2019

MISSING


My better self invested prudently, cashed out, moved
To a city in the Southwest; I don't see much of him.
My worse self, though, used to be in and out constantly.
I'd wake and he'd be in the living room reading
To the grey cat who'd listened closely to his words
As she never listened to mine. He left dishes 
Piled high in the sink -- didn't our mother
Teach him better? -- but cooked enough 
That always there was something left for me.
His mockery had something comforting about it;
Who else remembered who I used to be?
I've grown so mild that he finds now no challenge 
In being worse than I am and disappears 
For months, for years. I seek him out
At the last address I have for him. His neighbors 
Say he was evicted and spends his nights
Walking the streets with profligate saints 
And vowing not to abandon his country.


No comments:

Post a Comment