Friday, May 24, 2019

URBAN AFFAIRS


When the old Penn Station was torn down 
Its demons, leaving their unhurried lives, 
Spilled into the City. Some colonized the Municipal Building 
Where the dolphin-crowned statue of Civic Fame
Offered them a cautious welcome. They mingled 
With the aboriginal civil servants, becoming
In time, one breed. Because my grandfather 
Was born in the buildings shadow and my parents 
Were married in the building by the County Clerk 
I enjoy certain hereditary rights
Including the ability to tell at a glance who 
In the Department of Buildings has the power 
To condemn my soul to spend half-eternity 
In a Beaux-Arts Hell designed by McKim, Mead & White
And who can merely choose to capriciously deny 
My application to tear down half of Central Park
In order to resurrect the Village of Pigtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment