Tuesday, May 28, 2019

ENTERING FROM 53RD STREET ...


My eyes adjust to the dusty light 
Slanting its way in. It's late August;
Time stands behind the bar, fiddling 
With the strings of his apron. God
Is at a table, drinking with his friends.
There are peanut shells beneath His feet
The ceiling fan whirrs softly under a ceiling 
Of pressed tin. The waitresses' wings are draggled
And smell faintly of beer. I am amazed
To find God still where I left Him
In 1976. I might tell Him that Heaven 
Has cut loose from its mooring and sailed
No man can say where or that those angels
Who don't work in bars are mostly unemployed 
Passing even the warmest nights huddled 
Around fires burning in wire barrels
But I simply sit in the chair that has
Has left empty for me all this while.

No comments:

Post a Comment