Monday, January 21, 2019

CONCERNING DANNY DEEVER

Do you know Kipling’s poem about hanging Danny Deever?
It’s in the form of a dialogue between Files-On-Parade
And the Colour-Sergeant. My father used to sing it
When he was putting me to bed. This was a lengthy process
Involving a book being read, perhaps two, a story --
Which my father would invent – and some songs.
Occasionally, bits of poetry would sneak in;
Someone must have told him, correctly,
That Macbeth soliloquizing about the futility of life
Might be just the thing to make a three year old sleep sound.

My father was the youngest of nine children which meant
He had four living and one dead older sister
And two living and one dead older brother. The dead brother
Was named Moshe and was called Morris and remained
After he died one of my father’s favorite relatives.
The dead sister, Edith, left almost nothing behind
But her name. Recently, though, she has been insisting
That she would have been tall – for her family, at least  --
And witty and  a talented amateur artist who wore
Extraordinary hats every chance she got if only
She had lived more than a few months.

By now, you may have given up hope of hearing
More about Danny Deever. It may even be
That you never began reading this poem at all
And are quietly pleased with yourself. The question
I want to discuss today is who it was who taught my father
(Nathan was his name, called Nate or Natie by his family
But never by my mother) the words and the tune?
Had I asked he might have remembered that Sadie
Or Doris had memorized it for some class and he,
With his preposterously good memory for such things,
Had picked it up when whichever of them read it aloud
To fix it in memory. Not Anne (the pretty sister) I think,
Nor lefthanded Rose, nor Harry (the family rebel).
Certainly not Joe.

I believe I will choose
To believe that my grandmother – who learned English’
From her children’s school textbooks -- was entranced
By the cadence and the drama and would say bits of it
When she was awake at 3 in the morning when everyone else
Except my father was sleeping. The tune he may have found
Years later, left in the street by some careless passerby.

No comments:

Post a Comment