Thursday, April 30, 2015

ANOTHER FOOTNOTE TO HISTORY



So I was listening to a set of cds called Music That Won The War"which is mostly standard World War II songs, like The White Cliffs of Dover  and Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer  and I hear, for the first time, Carmen Miranda singing Chattanooga Choo Choo, mostly in Spanish but with the odd bit of English flying through. Once in a while, she sings in something which is neither English nor Spanish; the chorus, I presume in desperation, tries to get up a football cheer, going "boom chick-a-boom chick-a-boom chick-a-boom." Since I know the makers of the set wouldn't lie to me I can only assume this song drove Hitler to despair. In a crash program, thousands of recordings were pressed of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf singing Three Little Fishies. She was fearsome but no match for Miranda, and the Axis was doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment