Wednesday, August 7, 2024

MEETING


Is that how they taught you to enter

Someone's house -- walking right through the wall

All iridescent wings and attitude? Go outside

And try again! This is a young girl's room;

Knock -- quietly, not bang bang bang -- and wait

I'll let you know when you can come in. 

There ... that was better. Don't loom like that!

Calm yourself. No, I don't want to know why you're here;

Not yet. Tell me first your name. Gabriel?

Fine. No, I'm not the Virgin Mary. She'd an errand;

I'm filling in for her. (There aren't that many flawless women;

We all know each other.) I'm The Woman Standing Under An Umbrella

From the Harunobu print. You're lucky I'm here

It's obvious you're been under-rehearsed. 

Now, why are you here? No, wait, don't tell me yet!

Remark upon the weather; ask me what I'm reading;

Offer me a small gift. How should I know what Mary likes?

Pots of basil? Some lilies? Candied walnuts?

You didn't bring anything? Hopeless!

Did all the ept angels have other things to do?

Let's skip ahead; next time remember to bring something.

Now, find your manners and -- calmly,  courteously -- tell me

What brings you here today?



No comments:

Post a Comment