Wednesday, June 19, 2024

AKRON

 

God has asked me to give Him a hand

By taking over the job of remembering

Akron, Ohio. He's getting older

And the universe still perversely

Insists on expanding though it

And everything else are simply

Ideas in His mind. What He forgets

Never was at all.


(Until after the Big Bang 

God's job was easy

There were only twelve atoms: 

Murray, Hildegarde, Norris,

Cindy, Li Po, Lizabeth Anne, 

Hecate, Big Al, Patricia, 

Nate, Juan and Gleb and they

Didn't really get up to very much.)


I admit it's true that I know 

Almost nothing about Akron, Ohio.

Do they still make things there,

Of rubber? More than fifty years ago

I knew a pleasant girl named Mitzi

From Alliance, Ohio which was,

She said, the rubber-band capital

Of the Free World. Perhaps

She can tell me something

About Akron which is a mere

36.7 miles away from Alliance.

Maybe I'll have a staff under me

Who know the place backwards and forwards.

 

Anyway, though I'm unqualified,

A promotion is a promotion. 

(Wikipedia says there are

290,469 people in Akron --

Will it be so very terrible 

If I happen to forget one or two?

It may turn out that you'll like better

The ones I'll make up to replace them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment