Monday, January 8, 2024

A NEW YEAR'S POEM OR: HOW YOU NARROWLY ESCAPED FALLING IN LOVE WITH ME IN 1975

 

I don't really recall much of it but

Li Po tells me there was a night in my life

When I was irresistibly charming and

Also quite drunk so he and Basho

And Henry James Pye propped me against

The candy machine on the third floor landing;

Everyone who passed had no choice but

To acknowledge how charming I was. You,

Unfortunately, took the elevator that night and

Never saw me at my most enchanting. Li Po

Shrugs and says it was too bad and Basho tells me

That this world of dew is, after all, a world of dew

And Henry James Pye, who put me to bed,

Says the bitter sorrow of finding he was,

Bar one, the very worst of all poet laureates

Was somewhat mitigated by the generous salary

Parliament had attached to the position.




No comments:

Post a Comment