Wednesday, November 1, 2023

A RUNNING INTO

 

I was walking downtown and noticed God

Was leaning against a building looking serious;

There was a patch on His jacket – not the decoration sort

But the “there's a hole I mean to cover” sort.

I asked what He was up to and He said

“Remembering all the people who’d died today;

There were an awful lot of them, though.”

I asked if I could help and He said sure

And scootched over to make room for me;

We leaned on the wall together, thinking dead folk.

It was hard work at first but got easier and faster

At last I said “God, I’m pretty sure I’ve remembered,

Some dead folk who never were alive.” He said it was okay;

We were too far along to turn back and He would mark

Anyone I’d invented by teaching them a secret handshake

So they could recognize each other and be able

To get extra servings of mush in Heaven.

(I was surprised to find out there’d be mush in Heaven

God said what sort of Heaven wouldn’t serve mush?)

No comments:

Post a Comment