Monday, October 9, 2023

A COMMISSION

 

My morning self -- that scoundrel! -- has accepted a fee

From my Aunt Edith to write of her and now

Expects me to honor his bargain. She died, though,

Of statistics when she was a few months old 

Leaving me the merest scraps from which to work.

She made a successful career as a ghost, appearing

As an extra shadow in photographs or as a stern-looking stranger

With wings and a string-bag who has featured

In her siblings' dreams in a bewildering variety

Of supporting roles. By the time I was born

She was semi-retired and had mellowed

Into the good-humored ghost of a pretty woman

Two inches taller than her next-biggest sister,

Adding to the difference by tottering in high heels

And wearing hats, costlier and more exuberant

Than Rosie's or Sadie's or Doris' or even Anne's.

She and my morning self seem fond of each other;

I'm not sure why he doesn't write of her himself

Nor why he took money for a job

He expects me to do for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment