Monday, July 10, 2023

STILL LOOKING FOR WORK

 

One thing about hangmen's beautiful daughters

Is that they're all fearless so when God

Flings open the door and shouts "Yah!" at her

She just nods and holds up a basin

That had been at the bottom of a cupboard

Until she'd rummaged it out (I really

Should write something for her so she'll

Stop hanging about, getting into everything)

The basin is silver chased with enamel

Of the precise green robins' eggs would be

If they weren't blue. It's filled -- it always is --

With cold water. We stole it from someone's poem

In 1981; God made a disturbance while I

Slipped it into my coat. (I miss that coat;

Its pockets could hold anything.) I thought

I'd be able to use it myself some day but it

Is too solid and too vain, insisting

That any poem it's in be really about

A heavy silver basin, chased with green,

Filled always with cold water

No comments:

Post a Comment