Thursday, November 7, 2019

AN OLD FRIEND ON THE TRAIN


When the train stops at Bayside
My friend David boards though
He died three years ago. In the precise
Hierarchy of high school
He ranked slightly below us;
Our fathers were professionals
His was a printer whom money
Had forbidden to go to college.
We had houses; his family lived
In an apartment. He was pleasant-looking
And athletic and not tall. His family
Were all musical. He played everything;
His father taught recorder on weekends.
He had an exaggerated hatred of falseness
And made me feel guilty when I sang
Molly Malone; not being Irish
I'd no right to a brogue. More than any of us
He was wary, mocking belief, scorning love
He was sturdy, ran doggedly; he was at home
Playing football or the piano or
Standing under the glaring lights
Of the empty parking lot where those
With nowhere to go spent nights
Teasing and testing each other.
Grown-ups said that he, unlike his friends,
Had a head on his shoulders, a head
That had been screwed on right.
He later turned himself inside out;
He later took the word of a malign ghost
Who broke him in pieces.
This never seemed right to me.
Once, a girl told me that I was special
And David was just David but still
She'd rather go out with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment