Friday, August 23, 2019

PICTURE


My father drew angels quite well -- 
Stickmen, with wings and benign,
Wary expressions. Occasionally  
He drew wolfmen, sometimes 
Standing quietly in a crowd 
Or singing as part of a chorus.
So far as I know, none of his pictures 
Include both angels and wolfmen
Though the combination seems natural.
What if, times being hard, each
Had to perform the other's job?
God might give His wolfmen messages 
When they weren't loitering in Heaven,
Howling extravagant songs of praise 
While angels grew fur at the whim
Of some deceased moon's cessant ghost.
If I were my father I'd draw you a picture 
Of these angels and wolfmen meeting 
To exchange tales and sympathy. You'd say
"Yes, this and no other way is just how I
Believe they must have looked."

No comments:

Post a Comment