Monday, April 1, 2019

HEREDITY

At a family conclave before I was born
My six-times great grandfather argued strongly
That his nose would help me make my way in the world
And would be needed to mitigate the results
Of his sister Edith's squinty grey eyes
And his brother Morris' appalling sense of humor.
Some cousins suggested the rights to my nose
Be traded to the other side of my heritage --
Meeting on the other side of the room and pretending
Not to be listening -- for the ability, say,
To do lightning calculations
Or eyes able to see more colors than most.
The negotiations were complex but I have a nose
That could pass as a native anywhere south of the Bug River;
I cannot add columns of figures at a glance;
As for colors, there are several shades of blue and green
Which all look exactly the same to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment