Friday, March 15, 2019

THE REPLACEMENT


The conscience that was born with me
Came out in spots one day and then
Took to its bed, went all green,
And died an improving death. Nine days later
I toured the notional attic where sit
Things my family cannot get rid of.
The old conscience I brought down
Was obviously made for a larger man;
A tailor cut it down and watchmakers
Set it going. We never really got along;
It sneered at the crimes and sins I brought it
Saying “Delicts and misdemeanors! A bent
Piece of envy, duties undone and taxes
Underpaid! The mice in the attic
Committed wrongs better-wrought than these!”
I urged it to get out more, accusing it
Of not understanding the times. It said
I wasn’t worth bad dreams; instead
It would occasionally throw a small rock at me
Then disappear. sometimes for months
So I’d have to hire temporary consciences --
All of whom really wanted to be actors –
When I was invited to formal occasions.

Still, it has never been gone so long before
And I find myself fearing it’s found
A subject worthy of its mettle.

You’d think
A conscience would have a finer sense of honor
Than to abandon me after all these years.


No comments:

Post a Comment