Monday, August 27, 2018

IN THE AIR


It might have been that I was on my way
To eat at The Dove (good coffee)
Or Mama Lucita’s (the best eggs rancheros
I will ever have though Mama will
One day be closed by the Health Department)
Or Medici’s (hamburgers on back bread;
Individual Chicago-style pizzas). Then again,
I might have been going to buy books
At Powell’s (characterless but huge
And a box of free samples outside the door)
Or O’Gara’s (a thin Irish man with a trim mustache
And a pipe who’d gesture each morning,
Making the dust rise from the books
And walk out the door and down 57th Street
Towards Powell’s). It was sunny, I remember
And I suddenly leaped in the air, leaving
Much of who I was still hovering.
I have spent years discovering
Just who it was who came down.

No comments:

Post a Comment