Tuesday, February 6, 2018

CROWDED



The thoughts I had thought the night before
Were waiting for me in my bed, insisting
I think them again. They had apparently
Spent the entire day just lying about
And looked dissipated. One of them
Was smoking a fake meerschaum pipe
That I’d thrown away in 1987. Another,
Wore a preposterous hat, a cross somehow
Between a floppy musketeer sort of thing
And the odd felt crown Jughead wears
To go careening down a Riverdale street
In a bathtub while Archie attempts to steer.
Then there was the one who insisted
She had been personally brushed aside
By Catherine the Great and had spent
Three years trapped in an unfinished dream
Of the beautiful Princess Dashkova. 

I found this awkward as I had invited
A crowd of much higher-class thoughts
To join me. (One of them was almost new;
The rest could pass for new in a kindly light)
They could not be put off; we all crowded in.
I got little sleep; my head never found the pillow.
When I finally dozed I was poked awake
By the idea with a hat; he and the Russian thought
(I considered her accent a little exaggerated, myself)
Were in love and wished me, as captain of the bed,
To marry them. The other thoughts were members
Of the wedding party. Some of them had swords
(Which fact rather worries me) and made an alley
For the bride and groom. All of them
Have gone along on the honeymoon leaving me
Completely thoughtless. Worse, they’ve taken
Half the covers and the pillow with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment