Thursday, September 21, 2017

YELLOW DOG



Abraham Lincoln, said my father, knew of a tonic
That could make you a new man, with enough left over
To make a little yellow dog. The first part is only sense;
Who does not make a new man each time he wakes
Choosing among those pieces of him that lie to hand?
This memory but not that one; this vice but
Not – never again! – that virtue too dearly bought.
From suchlike things I have conjured myself
At least ten thousand times, without a tonic.
What concerns me now is that yellow dog
Making itself impudently of the parts left over
Bad enough when he barks at me when we pass,
I on my way to work and he off to chase sticks and cats
And other dogs, but worse- far, far worse! –
Those days he grins at me or offers a sympathetic paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment